MALAKAI WELLNESS RETREAT, SHELLA BEACH, LAMU in KENYA – 2022
(Final dates to be confirmed)
Join us in magical Lamu, Kenya for our Malakai Wellness Retreat : Watch Video
Enjoy 7 days of wellness in Lamu on the beautiful Kenyan coast. Malakai Wellness invites you to explore different yoga practices, breathing exercises, mindful meditation and massage therapies, to realign and rejuvenate your body, mind and soul. A chance to release, recharge and reconnect and to fully immerse yourself in the rich Swahili culture of Kenya.
This retreat offers a diverse programme of yoga classes, breath work, guided meditations and massage treatments. Complemented by inspiring cultural activities, including a guided tour of Lamu Old Town (a UNESCO heritage site), shopping for arts & crafts in Shella Village, and Dhow sailing cruises. Plus we will nourish you daily with fresh organic meals, a combination of tradition local and international dishes, lovingly prepared by our cook.
You will be staying at the beautiful Shella beach fronted Forodhani House, with stunning sea views onto the Indian Ocean. The house is built in authentic Lamu style with a lush garden, a 10 meter pool, multiple lounging areas, terraces, shady verandas, and welcoming daybeds. Accommodation consists of large en suite bedrooms, ideal for couples or friends sharing. It is located within easy access to Shella Village and Peponi Terrace and short boat trip to the Lamu Old Town.
We are excited to bring you this unique wellness experience on the East African coast. This is a happy collaboration between Malakai Wellness and our local partners in Lamu, Kenya. Together we are an experienced international team, who are passionate about wellness & hospitality.
Book now to reserve you place at email@example.com
What’s the price?
- 7 days/nights package price for 995 EUR per person, incl. boat transfer from Lamu airport to retreat location, Shella Beach.
- International and local flights excluded.
- Stay at the beautiful Forodhani House, in a large en suite bedroom.
(There are two king size bed, en suite rooms for couples – and one triple single bed, en suite room for friends sharing)
- Wi-Fi available across the property.
- Use of lush garden, a 10 meter pool and multiple lounging areas, terraces, shady verandas, and welcoming daybeds.
- A diverse wellness programme:
- Daily yoga (Hatha, Vinyasa or Restorative Yin)
- Pranayama (Breath work)
- Guided meditations
- Massage therapies (1 hr session per person & additional treatments can be arranged)
- Complementary activities:
- Lamu Old Town guided tour (UNESCO World Heritage site)
- Discovering art & crafts in Shella Village
- 2 x Dhow sailing cruises (Day and Sunset)
- 3 healthy meals daily & fresh drinks. A fusion of traditional Swahili food and international cuisine.
Special vegetarian/vegan meals on request.
- For our super active guests, extra activities such as water skiing, wakeboarding, scuba diving and fishing can be locally arranged with an additional fee. Also extra massage treatments can be organised.
Lamu and Shella, Kenya – The Local Area
The archipelago of Lamu consists of a small group of islands off the east coast of Kenya, 250 km north of Mombasa and 470 km south of Nairobi. The archipelago is made up chiefly of Lamu, Manda, Pate and Kiwayu islands.
The coast that faces the mainland, to the north, is covered with mangrove, while the 12 km of beach extending from Forodhani House to the south-western tip of the island is deserted, lined with coconut palms, bougainvillea and undulating, expansive dunes of pristine white sand.
Lamu and Shella, the fishing village where Forodhani House is located, still offers today examples of what life in the eighteenth century was like. Built of coral stone and mangrove timber, tall houses rise above the narrow streets made of sand. No cars, no scooters, only donkeys and people move around in this maze of tiny streets. Shella is known as the home of the most beautiful white sandy beaches of the archipelago.
Swahili is the culture shared by the people of the East Coast of Africa. The term comes from the plural of the Arabic word sahel ساحل: sahil meaning coast or border. A warm and welcoming culture for you to explore during your stay.
Accommodation & Facilities
- Two king size bed, en suite rooms for couples & one triple single bed, en suite room for friends sharing)
- Simple, clean and airy
- Wi-Fi available throughout the property
- Electrical plugs (English plus but adaptors are available.
- Safety deposit box in each room.
- Laundry & ironing service
Main Shared Space
- 10 meter pool
- Terraces for Yoga
- Lounge areas, shady verandas and welcoming daybeds.
- Garden with palm trees, ylang ylang, frangipani and bougainvillea.
- Our friendly team of local staff, with an excellent cook to take care of you.
Prices & Payment
- 7 days/nights package price for 995 EUR per person. Sharing large double en suite bedroom.
Payments & Conditions:
- 250EUR deposit to reserve your place, non-refundable.
- Remainder must be paid in 60 days before start of retreat.
- If there are any changes in the booked dates due to COVID we will information ASAP.
Additional Activities & Services*:
- Extra guided tours and excursions
- Additional wellness treatments
*All of the above mentioned additional activities & services are of extra charge and can be consulted before or on arrival at the retreat.
- International airfare to and from Nairobi and domestic flight to and from Lamu are not included.
(We will then pick you up at Lamu airport for boat transfer to your final destination to Forodhani House on Shella Beach).
- Alcoholic drinks are excluded.
- Social distancing – our social distancing measures are adhered to. All staff will keep 1.5 m distance when interacting with guests. There will be no shaking of hands or hugging guests.
- Our team will be working on disinfecting all the touch points regularly during their routine cleans and checks.
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner will be set up so that distance is kept between staff and guests.
- Hand sanitizer will be available in all common areas and staff will be washing hands regularly.
GENERAL INFORMATION (Q&As)
How to get there
Flights to Nairobi, Kenya
International flights arrive at Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. See here for details of entry into Kenya and COVID requirements https://www.kenyanevisa.com/entry-restrictions/
Flights from Nairobi to Lamu take just one hour.
The Lamu archipelago is located 470 km south east of Nairobi, on the Indian Ocean. The precise position of Forodhani House is 2 ° 17 ‘37.92’ ‘south latitude and 40 ° 54’ 58.12 ” east longitude. So you are right on the equator.
Several airlines serve the airports Lamu / Manda located on the island just in front of the house.
From Nairobi: Either Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (Fly 540 and Jambojet) or from the domestic airport Wilson (Air Kenya, Safarilink and FlySax).
At Lamu /Manda airport, one of our local staff members will meet you and take you across the water – in 15 minutes you’re at the foot of the house.
Flights from Nairobi to Lamu
|Airlines||Departure Nairobi||Arrival Lamu|
|FlySAX||10:15 (mon-sat) 14:00 (sun)||12:15 (mon-sat) 15:45 (sun)|
|Fly540||10:15 (mon-sat) 14:00 (sun)||12:15 (mon-sat) 15:45 (sun)|
|Jambojet||09:40 (mon-thu + sat)|
12:50 (fri, sun)
|10:45 (mon-thu + sat)|
13:55 (fri, sun)
Flights from Lamu to Nairobi
|Airlines||Departure Lamu||Arrival Nairobi|
|FlySAX||12:25 (mon-sat) 16:10 (sun)||14:30 (mon-sat) 18:15 (sun)|
|Fly540||12:25 (mon-sat) 16:10 (sun)||14:30 (mon-sat) 18:15 (sun)|
|Jambojet||11:05 (mon-thu + sat)|
14:15 (fri, sun)
|12:55 (mon-thu + sat)|
16:05 (fri, sun)
Please check directly on the Flight companies websites, here above, to be sure these times schedules didn’t change.
From Mombasa you can fly too now, thanks to Skyward Express. Or you can drive to Malindi and fly from there to Lamu. It is also possible to visit us by land although it is a bumpy seven hour drive from Mombasa and at least four hours from Malindi. You will have to park your car on the mainland at the Mokowe jetty and we’ll send you a boat to pick you from there and drive you to Shella.
Climate & Weather around Shella and Lamu
The weather in this region is generally warm ranging from about 23 and 33 °C. Experiencing the warmest weather from December to April and the coldest weather from May to July.
Starting from 1 January 2021, all visa applicants must apply for a Kenya eVisa online. Travelers are required to: Possess a valid passport that is valid for at least 6 months upon the date of entry to Kenya Have at least one blank page in their passport. The visa is valid for 90 days on issue of e-visa.
In Lamu & Shella in general, the water from the faucets is safe for showering and other necessities but is not safe to drink. At the house we will be provided you filtered water to drink.
Money / Cash / Credit Cards
There are number for ATM/Cash Machines on Lamu that you can withdraw cash from and certain shops and restaurants you can pay by credit card.
Tips & Gratuities
The staff at Forodhani House are heart centered! You should find them friendly and helpful! They do very much appreciate gratuities to supplement their income.
Lamu & Shela uses standard English outlets and adaptors are available.
Please bring the toiletries you feel are necessary for your stay.
Please ensure that you arrange you travel insurance for your stay.
There are both compulsory for entry and strongly recommended. All travellers are required to have a Yellow Fever vaccination certificate in order to gain entry to Kenya. Furthermore for most short-term travellers the usual recommended vaccinations for Kenya include cover against the childhood diseases (Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Poliomyelitis) as well as cover against the food and water borne diseases of Hepatitis A and Typhoid.
COVID and entering Kenya
Please read here for more information to enter Kenya and COVID requirements: